2nd Marathon Bombing Suspect In Custody

Boston.com homepage announces an end to the dramatic saga.
Boston.com homepage announces an end to the dramatic saga.

By Honah Liles, Natalie Covate and Dana Hatic
BU News Service

The second suspect in the marathon bombing is in custody after a massive day-long manhunt and nearly two-hour standoff in Watertown where he was concealed in a boat in the backyard of a Franklin Street home.

Gunshots rang out in Watertown and  law enforcement officials converged on the scene where Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, was hiding out  around 7 p.m., about an hour after Gov. Patrick announced the shelter-in-place restriction on Boston and surrounding areas was lifted.

A state police helicopter circled the scene and authorities approached the boat with caution given the possibility that the suspect was wired with an explosive. There were conflicting reports as to whether the suspect on the boat was alive. More gunshot-like sounds were heard around 7:50 p.m.

Moments after local news stations reported the suspect was in custody, Mayor Menino confirmed it by tweeting out “We got him.”

The other marathon bombing suspect, Tanerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed after an exchange of fire with police in Watertown late Thursday night. The suspects are accused of  killing an MIT police officer identified earlier today as Sean Collier, 26. The suspects are also accused of injuring a transit officer, Richard H. Donohue, Jr., and carjacking in a getaway attempt in a long night of violence that proceeded a day-long manhunt, authorities said.

Gov. Patrick cautioned the public to remain vigilant, and law enforcement officials urged people not to approach the suspect, who they said they thought was still in Massachusetts when he announced the shelter-in-place restrictions were lifted. Gov. Patrick also announced that the T would start running again.

Tsarnaev is currently enrolled at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. The two suspects,  brothers from a Russian region near Chechnya, have lived in the U.S. for several years. According to the Associated Press, a government official says Tanerlan Tsarnaev traveled to Russia last year and returned to the U.S. six months later.

The uncle of the suspects urged Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to turn himself in to authorities, saying he had brought shame to his family and the Chechen ethnicity. In an interview with WBZ reporters, the uncle, Ruslan Tsarni, said he was “wordless” and shocked.

Earlier in the day, state police put out an alert for a gray Honda CRV. The vehicle was subsequently recovered in Cambridge and the occupant was arrested.

Massachusetts General hospital was on lock down and University of Massachusetts Dartmouth was evacuated. Boston area schools were all closed.

Friday night’s Red Sox and Bruins games were postponed in cooperation with law enforcement.Federal courts were also closed. Whitey Bulger was supposed to appear today according to the Boston Globe.

Taxi service was suspended but restarted shortly after. There was a no-fly zone over Boston in place and Amtrak service from New York to Boston was also suspended.

The BPD requested Friday morning that the media and public refrain from publishing live feeds of police activity and information heard on police scanners to protect officer safety.

In the end, the suspect was taken into custody alive, loaded onto an ambulance and taken to an area hospital for treatment.

As hundreds of police, FBI, State Police and SWAT teams members departed Watertown, residents lined the streets, applauding, cheering and shouting “Thank you!”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Posted by: Honah Liles on